4 - 6 Servings
- 3/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- olive oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- 1 LB pasta
- Add olive oil to a 12" cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and then add the shallot, garlic. Fry until the shallots soften and are slightly brown.
- Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Cook for a few munites to enhance it with a deeper, richer flavor and get rid of any acidic flavor.
- Stir in the Vodka and let simmer for a minute, then add pesto and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm until the pasta is cooked.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box. Remove 2 cups of pasta water for the sauce, then drain the pasta.
- Add 1/2 cup of pasta water and the butter to the Vodka sauce, stir until the butter has melted. Stir in parmesan and basil. Add more pasta water if you want a thinner sauce, then stir in the pasta.
- Serve with additional parmesan and basil according to taste.