- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, diced
- ¾ tsp salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 3 medium tomatoes diced small
- ⅓ Cup white wine or water
- 1 tbsp fresh basil ribbons or chopped Italian parsley
- 4 - 6 Extra large organic eggs ( or seared salt and pepper tofu...see
Other optional additions:
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1 Cup browed chorizo
- ¼ Cup finely diced spanish style cured Chorizo or Merguez, a North African spiced sausage
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Addthe onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. ( if adding rawchorizo, brown it with the onions)
- Add the sliced peppers and garlic, and turn heat down to med-lowand cook for 5 more minutes, until peppers are tender.
- If adding the cured spanish chorizo or Merguez sausage, add it now.
- Add all spices, sugar and salt.
- Cook for 2 more minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and white wine(or water).
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes, adding more water if it gets too dry orthick. You want a stew like consistency. After tomatoes cook down,taste, it should be full flavored and adjust salt and sugar if necessary.
- Crack 4-6 eggs over the mixture, sprinkling each egg with a little saltand cracked pepper.
- Add crumble goat cheese or feta ( optional) over the top and place inthe 400F°/200°C oven. Bake until Egg whites are cooked ( about 7 minutes)and yolks are still soft. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil ( or cilantro or Italian parsley). Serve with toast or crusty bread.