Cast-Iron Skillet Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat an oven to 425°F / 220°C. Heat a 10-inch seasoned cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes, until it’s very hot.
Combine the cornmeal, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Whisk together the eggs, yogurt and maple syrup/honey in a large bowl.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and add the butter, swirling it until it’s melted (it’s OK if it slightly browns). Working quickly, pour the hot, melted butter into the egg and yogurt mixture, and whisk until combined. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Pour the batter into the hot skillet and and bake until golden, about 20-25 minutes. Allow cornbread to slightly cool before cutting.
The skillet used in this recipe is a 10" cast iron skillet that can be found here.
Leave a comment