Chips - Deep Fried
- 2 pounds / 900 grams peeled potatoes
- 1 quart / 1 liter vegetable oil or lard for frying
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch / 1,2 cm thick slices, then slice these into 1/2-inch / 1,2 cm wide chips. Put the chips into a colander and rinse under cold running water for a minute.
- Simmer the chips for 5 minutes.
- Drain the chips carefully through a colander, then dry with paper towels. Keep the chips in the fridge covered until needed.
- Heat the oil to 350°F / 176°C in a Dutch oven or a pot. Cook the chips in batches in the oil for about 2 minutes. Remove the chips from the oil with a spider strainer. The temperature can drop when you add the chips into the oil so you might have to raise the temperature immediately when adding the chips. Keep an eye on the thermometer.
- Let the chips rest for a few minutes.
- Raise the temperature of the oil to 400°F / 204°C, then cook the chips until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oil with a spider strainer and drain on a piece of paper towel. Season with salt.
Leave a comment