Easy Homemade Hummus Recipe
- 1 can (425 grams/15 oz/1 ½ cups) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp baking soda (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 - 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 - 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- For garnishing: drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of ground paprika or sumac, chopped fresh parsley
- In a pot add the chickpeas and then fill up the pot with water and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes then drain the chickpeas in a strainer. This step is optional with the purpose of creating a smoother result.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice, garlic, and salt in a food processor and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tahini to the processor and mix until the mixture is thick and creamy. Scrape down the tahini from the sides with a spatula if necessary.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and mix until smooth and creamy, add 1-2 tbsp more if you want a thinner result.
- Add cumin and chickpeas to the food processor and mix until very smooth. While blending, add olive oil. Scrape down the sides of the processor with a spatula if necessary.
- Check the texture if you want more water you can add one tbsp at a time.
- Mix for about 2 minutes or more depending on how smooth hummus you want. Taste with salt.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with your favorite toppings.
SAVE A RECIPE FOR LATER?
If you want to save this recipe for later, you can print it, bookmark the page or save it to Pinterest.
How to print a recipe without the images
- Go to https://www.printfriendly.com/
- Enter the link for the recipe into the input field and click the "Preview" button.
- In the preview, hover the element you don't want to print (images or other elements) and click the trashcan symbol to remove it.
- When you are done, click the print button.
Leave a comment