4 - 6 servings
- 2 lb / 1000 g chicken fillets, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, use to your taste
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounces) can coconut milk (or 1 cup cream)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- salt and black pepper
Jasmine rice and garlic naan bread, for serving
- In a bowl, mix the chicken, yogurt, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp ginger, 2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp turmeric, and 1 tsp salt. Let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Heat oil at medium-high heat in a large skillet. Sear the chicken until browned, about 2 minutes. Add 1 tbsp butter to coat the chicken. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add 2 tbsp butter, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp garam masala, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper, and chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking another 3 - 4 minutes.
- Set the heat to low. Stir in 1 cup water and coconut milk. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens somewhat. Stir in 1 tbsp butter. Add the chicken and + juices to the skillet, stirring once in a while, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, season with salt and pepper.
Serve with rice and fresh garlic naan bread.