This recipe takes you on a culinary journey to the heart of French cuisine, where caramelized onions, rich broth, and a bubbling layer of melted cheese come together in perfect harmony. Join us as we explore the steps to create this soul-warming, flavorful masterpiece that has stood the test of time. Whether you're a seasoned home chef or just starting your culinary adventures, this recipe promises to fill your kitchen with the aromas of tradition and warmth. Let's dive into the art of crafting the perfect French Onion Soup.
4 - 5 Servings
- 1 kg / 2.2 lb yellow onion
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1.2 liter water
- 2 vegetable bullion cubes
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 dl white wine
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 baguette or bread of your choice
- 2 dl Gruyère cheese, grated, or cheese of your choice
- salt and black pepper
- Peel the onions and slice thinly. Add olive oil and the onions to a pot/casserole/Balti dish/extra deep cast iron skillet (don't worry if the pot is almost full since the volume will reduce to about 1/3 before the remaining ingredients are added).
- Sweat the onions on medium-low with a lid on for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium-high. Add garlic, thyme, sugar, and butter, and brown the onions a little.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C/480°F.
- Pour in the wine and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the water, bullion cubes, and bay leaves. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and taste with vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Slice the bread and brown the bread in a cast iron skillet.
- Add soup to an oven-safe bowl top with a layer of sliced bread and add a layer of cheese on top of that.
- Bake the soup in the oven until the cheese is golden.
SAVE A RECIPE FOR LATER?
If you want to save this recipe for later, you can print it, bookmark the page or save it to Pinterest.
How to print a recipe without the images
- Go to https://www.printfriendly.com/
- Enter the link for the recipe into the input field and click the "Preview" button.
- In the preview, hover the element you don't want to print (images or other elements) and click the trashcan symbol to remove it.
- When you are done, click the print button.