Embark on a culinary journey to Sweden with a classic dish that has graced the tables of Swedish households for generations—Janssons Frestelse, or Jansson's Temptation. This hearty and comforting casserole is a delightful medley of potatoes, onions, and anchovies, enveloped in a rich and creamy embrace. The name itself suggests temptation, and once you experience the harmonious blend of flavors in this traditional Swedish creation, you'll understand why.
Featuring layers of thin potatoe strips, caramelized onions, and the unique umami punch of anchovy fillets, Janssons Frestelse is a dish that showcases the simplicity and elegance of Swedish home cooking. The creamy amalgamation of cream and anchovy sauce bathes the layers, creating a luscious texture that's both indulgent and satisfying.
Baked to golden perfection in the oven, this dish transforms humble ingredients into a culinary masterpiece. The crispy breadcrumb topping adds a delightful crunch, while dollops of butter on the surface contribute to its irresistible richness.
Whether you're seeking a taste of Swedish tradition or simply craving a comforting and flavorful meal, Janssons Frestelse is a dish that promises to captivate your palate. Paired with fried eggs and optional pickled beetroot, this classic Swedish creation is a celebration of simple, wholesome ingredients that come together to create a truly tempting culinary experience.
- 3 large yellow onions
- 1 1/2 kg/3.3 lb potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter (to fry in)
- 3 cans of anchovy fillets (each 125 g)
- 6 dl cream
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Set the oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Peel onions and potatoes.
- Slice the onion thinly and cook it in butter in a cast iron skillet. Cut the potatoes into thin strips (about 4 mm thick).
- Layer potatoes, onions and anchovies (save the anchovy sauce in a bowl) in a ovenproof dish or roasting pan, approx. 20 x 30 cm. Potatoes at the bottom and top.
- Mix the cream and anchovy sauce in a bowl.
- Pour in the cream and anchovy sauce over of the dish. Sprinkle on breadcrumbs and top the dish with dollops of butter.
- Bake in the lower part of the oven for about 2 hours. If it starts to color too much, cover with aluminum foil.
- Let the dish rest for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fried eggs and pickled beetroot (optional).
SAVE A RECIPE FOR LATER?
If you want to save this recipe for later, you can print it, bookmark the page or save it to Pinterest.
How to print a recipe without the images
- Go to https://www.printfriendly.com/
- Enter the link for the recipe into the input field and click the "Preview" button.
- In the preview, hover the element you don't want to print (images or other elements) and click the trashcan symbol to remove it.
- When you are done, click the print button.