Rice porridge is a Christmas classic in Scandinavia that is made of round-grain rice. Round-grain rice is used for rice porridge, rice pudding, etc. When you cook porridge, the grains break apart and swell.
Sometimes people put a peeled almond in the porridge and according to a common folk belief whoever gets the almond will be married in the coming years. Another common folk belief is that whoever gets the almond will simply be lucky in the future, or get to wish for something.
3 - 4 servings
- 2 dl water
- 2 dl porridge rice
- 1 l milk
- 1/2 salt
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- ground cinnamon and table sugar for topping
- In a pot, add water, salt, and rice and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk, and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Simmer at the lowest possible heat setting for 60 - 75 minutes (depending on the texture you want) with a lid on.
- Stir at regular intervals.
- Taste with salt.
- Serve with ground cinnamon, sugar, and milk.
SAVE A RECIPE FOR LATER?
If you want to save this recipe for later, you can print it, bookmark the page or save it to Pinterest.
How to print a recipe without the images
- Go to https://www.printfriendly.com/
- Enter the link for the recipe into the input field and click the "Preview" button.
- In the preview, hover the element you don't want to print (images or other elements) and click the trashcan symbol to remove it.
- When you are done, click the print button.