10 servings (for fewer servings keep the liquid measures to avoid all sauce evaporating during cooking)
- 4 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and cut into large wedges
- 2 cloves garlic peeled, or 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 6 carrots cut in half
- 4 potatoes cut into large pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounce tomato paste or tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- Extra virgin olive oil for searing.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚F/175°C.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add olive oil and the beef and sear until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, and rosemary into the Dutch oven, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place the seared beef back in the Dutch oven and add the beef stock and bay leaves.
- Put thd lid on and transfer to the oven. Cook until the beef is tender and shreds easily, about 5-6 hours. Taste with salt and pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately.
Steps to make the sauce thicker
- Combine 1-2 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp cold water until smooth.
- Remove beef and vegetables from the Dutch oven.
- Bring the broth to a boil and whisk in the flour mixture a little bit at the time until the desired thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper.
SAVE A RECIPE FOR LATER?
If you want to save this recipe for later, you can print it, bookmark the page or save it to Pinterest.
How to print a recipe without the images
- Go to https://www.printfriendly.com/
- Enter the link for the recipe into the input field and click the "Preview" button.
- In the preview, hover the element you don't want to print (images or other elements) and click the trashcan symbol to remove it.
- When you are done, click the print button.