Mac & Cheese in a Cast Iron Skillet
- 2.5 tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups Béchamel
- 1 package cooked elbow pasta
- 2 cups white cheddar
- 1/2 cups mozzarella
- 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- Boil up the milk (carefully to avoid boiling over).
- Melt the butter a pot and insert the flour, stir.
- Add milk a little at a time using a ladle and stir thoroughly to avoid lumps and burns.
- Add salt, nutmeg and the egg yolk.
- Add the sauce to the macaronies and stir.
- Add the cheese and taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the macaronies into a cast iron skillet or another form.
- Spread the breadcrumbs on top of the macaronies and spread bits of butter on top of the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven at the highest temperature possible until the top is golden brown.