- 450 grams spaghetti, bucatini or tonnarelli
- 450 ml pasta water
- 115 grams peccorino cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp very coarsely ground black pepper, or whole peppercorns if using a mortar and pestle
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add salt and pasta.
- With a couple of minutes left until the pasta is done, take the pot off the heat and save 450 ml of the pasta water.
- Using a mortar and pestle, add the pepper to the mortar and gently tap the peppercorns with the pestle until 8 - 12 mesh.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil just to cover the bottom (optional).
- Add the pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add about 180 ml of the pasta water to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add the drained pasta to the skillet and toss to coat the pasta.
- From here you can either add a handful of cheese at a time, stir and add more pasta water as needed until the sauce is creamy and clings to the pasta without clumping. Or you can add about 2/3 of the remaining pasta water to the pecorino in a bowl and stir into a creamy lump-free sauce then add the cheese sauce to the pasta and stir until all pasta is coated, add more pasta water if needed.
- Serve with some additional pepper and pecorino as topping.
SAVE A RECIPE FOR LATER?
If you want to save this recipe for later, you can print it, bookmark the page or save it to Pinterest.
How to print a recipe without the images
- Go to https://www.printfriendly.com/
- Enter the link for the recipe into the input field and click the "Preview" button.
- In the preview, hover the element you don't want to print (images or other elements) and click the trashcan symbol to remove it.
- When you are done, click the print button.